This article contains helpful information for using a rotating platform or a turntable in conjunction with your Artec3D scanner
Typical use cases
Rotating platforms or turntables can be used for (but are not limited to) the following scenarios:
- Scanning small objects with the Artec Spider, including thin objects or objects with repetitive geometry. In this case, a texture pattern on a rotating platform/turntable can additionally be used during the post-processing
- Robotic 3D-scanning: a scanner is mounted on a robotic arm and captures an object rotating on a platform
- Automated 3D-scanning of rigid objects: manikins, shoe molds, etc
- Scanning with an Artec Eva in a limited amount of space, when there is no possibility to make a 360-degree circle around a scanned object/person while capturing:
Additional pattern for tracking / post-processing
If you're aiming to add a texture pattern to your turntable; use a high-contrast, texture-rich background, i.e. printed text or crosses (X marks).
Our in-house Artec pattern is pictured below
and here it is, applied to a turntable:
We also suggest watching this webinar by our Gold Partner Laser Design.
At 25:35, they talk about X-marks applied on a mat: this is helpful both for the tracking as well as for checking the scan results.
In terms of turntables, the Artec Turntable is the easiest-to-use and most professional solution available on the market.
Fully-automated and integrated with the Artec Studio software via a Bluetooth connection,
it is equipped with auto-tracking recovery. If tracking is lost anytime during scanning, the platform simply pauses and turns back about 15 degrees, continuing once tracking has been regained.
Below is a list of other turntables for your reference. Most of them were recommended to us by our customers.
1. Pre-motion turntables: https://www.pre-motion.com/products/turntable/
2. ARQSPIN motorized turntables: https://arqspin.com/product/hardware/
3. Orange Monkey, Foldio 360: http://orangemonkie.com/product/foldio360/
4. RODEON JumboDrive: https://www.dr-clauss.de/en/foto-studiotechnik-3/rodeon-jumbodrive
5. PhotoPizza DIY 360: https://photopizza.org/#!360_product_photography_turntable
6. Kopykake Variable Speed Karousel Turntable: https://www.amazon.com/Kopykake-Variable-Speed-Karousel-Turntable/dp/B004BBN330
7. Mains powered display turntable: https://www.cokerexpo.co.uk/turntables-50kilos
8. Lazy Susan turntable:
SNUDDA, IKEA: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483/
Greenco Bamboo: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7VMLYA/
9. A regular fitness disk:
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing email@example.com or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.