[Updated] October 15, 2019
Our customers have reported an issue with the following laptop configurations:
- MSI GT63 8RG-018 TITAN (link): Windows 10, Intel i7-8750Hm, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
- Dell Alienware 15 R4 (link): Windows 10, Intel i9-8950HK, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- Dell Alienware (AW17R5-7811BLK-PUS): Windows 10, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- Predator PH315-51: Windows 10, Intel Core i7-8750, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060, 1 x USB Type-CTM port: USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps), 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x USB 3.0 port)
- Dell New XPS 15 (link): Windows 10, Intel Core i9-8950HK, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
- Razer Blade 15 (2018) (link): Windows 10, Intel i7-8750H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q
- Macbook Pro 15" (2018): Windows 10 on Boot Camp, Intel i9, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X
- Lenovo P52: Win 10, 32gb Ram, Nvidia P3200 with Max-Q design, I7 8850-H
- Schenker XMG Neo 15": NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060, Intel Core i7-8750H
The issue manifests itself as follows:
- In Artec Studio 13 and earlier: the "Geometry only" scanning mode works correctly, yet the "Geometry and Texture" mode doesn't work properly on these specific devices.
- In Artec Studio 14: the FPS (frames per second) is lower than usual.
The issue is due to the USB chipset (and chipset drivers) installed in these laptops.
If you're working with a similar configuration and you're facing this issue, please follow the steps below:
- Download the file studio.conf that matches your Artec Studio version:
- Update your Artec Studio to the latest subversion (release notes are available here).
- Make sure that the Artec Studio application is closed.
- Access the hidden AppData folder (please follow the instructions specific to your Artec Studio version).
- For Artec Studio 12 users:
Open the hidden folder C:\Users\[your_windows_user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Artec\Artec Studio 12 Professional\12.x.x.xx (or another applicable version) on your PC
- For Artec Studio 13 users:
Open the hidden folder C:\Users\[your_windows_user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Artec\Artec Studio 13 Professional (or another applicable version) on your PC
- For Artec Studio 12 users:
- Replace the existing studio.conf file with the modified file which you downloaded in p.1 here above.
- Launch Artec Studio; the "Geometry and Texture" scanning mode should now function correctly.
For Spider users
For the calibration of your scanners, you will need an external calibration tool. Please download it here. Make sure Artec Studio is not running, extract the zipped archive to any folder on your computer and launch diagnostictool.exe.
If your computer is equipped with a Thunderbolt 3 port, you can use a Thunderbolt 3 to USB 3.0 adapter. We've specifically tested Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter (MPN:K170-1118-BK6I) and it works well with both Eva and Spider.
- Please note that this solution requires a Thunderbolt 3 port on the computer and a Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Regular USB-C to USB adapters will not work.
- If you've already used the Solution 1 above, please close the Artec Studio and delete the custom studio.conf file before using the adapter.
- Kanex produces both Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C type connector) and regular Thunderbolt (older type connector) adapters. Please make sure that you use the Thunderbolt 3 adapter, exactly as specified above.
Update: our partners reported that the Caldigit Mini-Dock Thunderbolt 3 Dual HDMI/DisplayPort adapter works well with both their Eva and Spider scanners.
Important note: after extensive testing, we discovered that the Caldigit adapter might require a USB controller driver update in order to function properly. Furthermore, this adapter seems to be incompatible with some computers (e.g. HP Zbook G5).
Therefore, unless you already own such a Caldigit adapter, we would recommend getting the Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter instead.
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.