November 3 2016
New Wacom Mobile Studio Pro which was released in November is accompanied by a free license of Artec Studio 11 Ultimate. So you can use built-in Intel RealSense sensor for 3D-scanning.
More information is available in the corresponding articles that will guide you through the process:
- How to receive Artec Studio 11/12 license and activate it at your Wacom: link to article
- Introduction to 3D scanning with Artec Studio Ultimate and Wacom Mobile Studio Pro: link to video tutorial
- Post-processing at Wacom Mobile Studio Pro: link to article
- Optional configuration of Wacom pen & keystrokes: link to article
We have also tested various configurations of Wacom Mobile Studio Pro together with Artec Eva and Spider/Space Spider, so if you are aiming to use Artec scanners on your Wacom computer, please find a summary of performance tests and setup advice below.
Hardware requirements & configurations
There are several Wacom configurations available on the market. We recommend either Wacom 13'' with 16 Gb RAM and Intel Iris Graphics 550 videocard or Wacom 16'' with 16 Gb RAM and NVIDIA Quadro M1000M with 2GB of video memory.
Configurations with 8 Gb RAM may work, but they are below minimal hardware requirements in terms of RAM. They may be sufficient if you 3D scan and/or post-process small projects, but 16 Gb configuration is highly recommended.
Settings in Windows for maximum performance
- First of all, navigate to Control Panel ---> Power options and set your computer to High performance mode. Also please make sure that this setting is also switched on if your Wacom works on the battery and is not plugged to any power source. We highly recommend to check this issue, as by default tablet and laptops automatically switch to "Battery Saver" mode and you should enforce them to be in "High performance" mode.
- Control Panel ---> NVIDIA Control Panel ---> Manage 3D Settings. In the list of profiles switch on profile "Workstaion App - Dynamic Streaming" (this option is available only for Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16'' with NVIDIA card)
Adapter to connect Artec scanner to Wacom computer
You will need an adapter from USB C to USB to plug your Artec scanner intro Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.
The left one on the photo is default adapter supplied by Wacom; the right one is HP adapter that we also used in our tests since it showed much better performance with Eva and Spider (comparing to default one).
Important note: performance of different adapters may vary, so please consider experimenting with different models from different manufacturers. We do not recommend to use default Wacom adapter with Artec Spider/Space Spider due to extremely low performance. Artec Eva works with default adapter, but provides 2-3 FPS lower than with non-default one.
In general Eva 3D operates at 12-13 FPS and Spider operates at 4.5-5 FPS on Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing email@example.com or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.