August 15 2016
Artec team has recently purchased two Dell XPS 15 laptops and we can say that we are extremely happy with their performance :)
- Windows 10 Home
- Intel Core i7 2600 MHz Skylake (6700HQ)
- 16 Gb RAM (we extended up to 32 Gb)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, 2048+1632 Mb (additional videocard: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 530)
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 1.780 kg weight
- Touch screen (please see a few remarks about it below)
Two major advantages
First of all, these laptops are powerful, albeit very lightweight, which makes them a perfect choice for scanning outdoors and for subsequent processing of the scanned data. We have upgraded RAM to 32 Gb, making it possible to process quite complicated Artec Studio projects.
Another advantage is the touch screen. You'll never know how convenient it is until you try it :) For example, when you're scanning in the field with the laptop in one hand and an Artec scanner in the other one, you can adjust texture brightness, sensitivity and other scanning settings with just a couple of taps. And you can rotate and zoom your scans/model in Artec Studio without a mouse or touch pad, which gives you extra flexibility.
The FPS rate is high both in the "regular" and real time fusion scanning modes, reaching 14-15 FPS for Artec Eva and 7-8 FPS for Artec Spider. If you capture more than 2000 frames in one scan (which means your scanning session is longer than usual), then FPS will decrease a little bit, but still will be enough for comfort 3D scanning process.
Artec Studio algorithms
- The maximum size of texture atlas is limited by 4096 x 4096 pixels.
- If you select several large scans in "Edit" section at the same time (for example, you work with huge scanned object), then editing tools may work with small lags; these small lags does not affect post processing anyhow.
We are truly happy with Dell XPS 15 and are going to purchase more such laptops for our numerous scanning projects. And we definitely recommend these laptops, especially if you need both lightweight and powerful hardware.
Our team is here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing email@example.com or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.