This article will cover the main principles of automatic post-processing (APP), which can launch several algorithms in a row with just one click.
- APP saves time and makes processing much easier
- It’s extremely useful when the workflow involves 3D scanning of the same object types (vacuum cushions, teeth molds, body parts, etc.)
- It’s a great solution for large objects, since you can program the batch of algorithms, launch them and leave the system to make the calculations
Navigate to the Tools section and choose Auto mode in upper part of the screen, then switch on the algorithms you need. In the picture below, for example, Fast fusion and Smooth fusion are switched off but Sharp fusion is switched on:
A doctor regularly uses 3D scanning to create images of his patients’ backs. He captures one scan per patient with Artec Eva, and he would like to process this scan as fast as possible with a single click.
Therefore, to help the doctor in this task, we should set up these algorithms for use in APP:
- Global registration in “Geometry only” mode
- Smooth fusion or Sharp fusion without the “Watertight” option
- Small-object filter
Step 1: Parameters
Let’s first define suitable algorithm settings in Manual mode, because the same values for these parameters will apply in Auto mode as well.
Step 2: Sequence for Auto mode
Now let’s switch to Auto mode and choose which algorithms to launch. For our example, we’ll turn on Global registration, Sharp fusion and Small-object filter, but turn off all other algorithms.
These algorithms will launch in this fixed sequence.
Step 3: Go!
Now we click button "Go!" and in couple of minutes we'll receive the resulting 3D mesh.
Tips and recommendations
- Remember that APP launches the algorithms in a fixed order.
- If you would like to use multiple scans in APP, they should be pre-aligned before you start. We recommend using the Continuous scanning option to align the data automatically during your 3D-scanning session.
- Rough serial registration is always performed automatically during 3D scanning, so you can disable it in your APP sequence.
- Fine serial registration launches automatically once you’re done 3D scanning, so you can disable it in APP as well.
- If the object has significant geometrical features, you can set Global registration to “Geometry only” mode for even faster postprocessing.
- Avoid launching different types of fusion algorithms one by one in your APP sequence. Instead, choose either Fast fusion, Smooth fusion or Sharp fusion in APP. All other fusion types should be switched off.
- After APP finishes its calculations, you can apply texture over your 3D mesh or export it from Artec Studio.
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.