This article addresses the question of whether it is possible to use the Artec Studio software on a Mac (e.g. MacBook Pro).
Photo by CyArk, from the Ancient Corinth digitization project (link to Google Arts & Culture 3D Archive).
- The Artec Studio software is not [yet] available for Mac OS.
- The most popular approach is to run Artec Studio on Windows via BootCamp. In this scenario, all algorithms of Artec Studio, including 3D-capture with both the Artec Eva and Artec [Space] Spider will work as intended.
- We do not advise installing Windows as a virtual OS inside Mac OS (e.g. through Parallels, VM Ware etc). On a virtual machine, the graphics card performance is very limited and therefore many functions/algorithms will not perform as intended.
We have tested several hardware configurations of MacBook Pro 15'' laptops.
The following hardware suits our minimum requirements and provides a good performance overall:
- MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018)
Processor: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics card: Radeon Pro 560D 4096 MB
Older models with the following configurations also offer adequate performance:
- Processor: Intel i7-4960HQ @ 2.60 GHz
- RAM: 16 Gb (enough for Eva, might not be enough for Spider; of course it depends on the scanned data size)
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M or AMD Radeon R9 M370X
Additional information: ScanApp for MacOS
- ScanApp is a free experimental 3D-scanning application for Artec Eva users. Artec [Space] Spider scanners as well as third-party sensors are not supported.
The ScanApp is compatible with OS X Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra.
- More information about the ScanApp is available here.
If you would like to get the ScanApp, click the "Download" button on this page in order to receive access to the installer files.
We are here to help! If you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact our team by emailing email@example.com or by clicking on "Ask Support" button on the upper part of the screen. We will always be happy to assist you and will get back to you as soon as we can.