The tips from this article will help you to find the most optimal hardware for 3D scanning and post processing.
General requirements are listed below, for more information about particular hardware (OS, processor, RAM, etc), scroll to a dedicated section of the article. For better understanding of Artec Studio algorithms that utilize different components of your PC, check this article.
Also feel free to browse the articles in section "Compatible hardware", where our team publishes all performance tests and tips.
1. General requirements
|OS||Windows 7, 8, 10 – x64|
|USB||1 x USB 2.0, USB 3.0 compatible|
|Processor||Intel i5 (76xx and later) or Intel i7|
|RAM||12 Gb for Artec Eva / 18 Gb for Artec Spider|
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce 400 Series or higher, at least 1 GB of memory
NVIDIA Quadro and Intel cards are officially supported starting from the release of Artec Studio 11.
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- 32-bit OS
- AMD FirePro M6100 Fire GL V
- Xeon or AMD processor
- NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFire configurations
2. Detailed requirements
2.1. Operating system
- We recommend Windows 7, 8, 10 - 64-bit.
- Windows XP and Vista are not supported.
- Starting from Artec Studio 9.2. we do not support 32-bit versions of software.
- More information about the compatibility of discontinued Artec scanners with Win8/Win10 can be found in this article.
- You will need 1 USB 2.0 port for a regular scanner.
- Artec Eva / Spider / Space Spider are compatible with USB 3.0.
- If you are willing to connect several scanners/sensors to one computer, we recommend using desktop computers for such bundle. Also you will need several independent USB 2.0 hosts or PCI-Express USB 2.0 cards and each scanner/sensor of your bundle should be plugged into a separate USB controller.
- We recommend Intel i5 76xx and later or Intel i7 processors: Nehalem microarchitecture and later
- Here is the link to a dedicated CPU benchmarks test, the upper your processor is ranked in the list - the better.
- Xeon processors will work with Artec Studio, however, we do not recommend using Xeon processors as, according to our experience, they provide lower scanning speed and lower processing performance than i5/i7.
We do not recommend AMD processors. Our clients reported that an error message "KMP_AFFINITY" sometimes occurs on such configuration which does not allow to 3D-scan. If you are considering to purchase a new PC, we strongly recommend buying Intel processor rather than AMD.
- You will need 12 Gb of RAM for post-processing projects captured with Artec Eva and 18 Gb of RAM for post-processing projects captured with Artec Spider or Space Spider.
- General rule is that for comfort fast post-processing you will need 3 times more RAM than the size of your project.
Main article: How to choose a videocard for 3D-scanning and processing
These additional articles may help as well:
- Videocard drivers versions verified by Artec
- Optimizing the performance of NVIDIA Quadro
- Intel + NVIDIA configuration
Also we highly recommend to check this link with benchmarks of high-performance videocards.