This article will help you to find the optimal hardware for your 3D scanning and postprocessing.
General requirements are listed below; for more information about a particular feature (e.g., OS, processor or RAM), scroll to the appropriate section below. To better understand how Artec Studio algorithms use different components of your PC, check out this article.
Also, browse the articles in the "Compatible hardware", section, where we publish performance tests and tips.
1. General requirements
|OS||Windows 7, 8 or 10 (x64)|
|USB||1 x USB 2.0, USB 3.0 compatible|
|Processor||Intel Core i5 (76xx and later) or Intel Core i7 or Intel Core i9
|RAM||12 GB for Artec Eva / 18 GB for Artec Spider|
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce 400 Series or higher, at least 1 GB of memory
NVIDIA Quadro and Intel cards are officially supported beginning with Artec Studio 11.
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- 32-bit OS
- AMD FirePro M6100 Fire GL V
- Intel Xeon and AMD processors
- NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFire configurations
2. Detailed requirements
2.1. Operating system
- We recommend Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64-bit).
- Windows XP and Vista are not supported.
- Starting with Artec Studio 9.2, we no longer support 32-bit software.
- More information about the compatibility of discontinued Artec scanners with Windows 8 and 10 is available in this article.
- You’ll need 1x USB2.0 port for a regular scanner.
- Artec Eva, Spider and Space Spider are compatible with USB 3.0.
- When you’re connecting several scanners/sensors to one computer, we recommend using a desktop PC. Also, you’ll need several independent USB2.0 hosts or PCI Express USB2.0 cards, and you should plug each scanner/sensor into a separate USB controller.
- We recommend Intel Core i5-76xx and later, or Intel Core i7 processors: Nehalem microarchitecture and later
- Also, we ourseves use Intel i9 processor (Intel Core i9-7900X 3.30 GHz) and we can confirm that it works great!
- The CPU benchmark tests are here; processors ranked higher on the list are better.
- Xeon processors will work with Artec Studio, but we don’t recommend them: in our experience, they provide lower scanning speed and lower processing performance than Core i5/i7 processors.
We don’t recommend AMD processors. Our customers have reported that AMD-based systems occasionally show the error message “KMP_AFFINITY” and don’t allow 3D scanning. If you’re considering a new PC, we strongly recommend one with an Intel processor.
- You’ll need 12 GB of RAM for postprocessing projects captured with Artec Eva and 18 GB for projects captured with Artec Spider or Space Spider.
- The general rule is that for reasonably fast post-processing, your RAM capacity should be three times the size of your project.
Main article: How to choose a videocard for 3D-scanning and processing
Consult these articles for additional information:
- Video card drivers versions verified by Artec
- Optimizing the performance of NVIDIA Quadro
- Intel + NVIDIA configuration
Also, we highly recommend that you check out this link, which provides benchmarks for high-performance video cards.